This is definitely a time for thinking about traditions. I was surprised to learn not long ago that Cypriots open their Christmas gifts on New Year's day, as Santa comes New Year's Eve. New friends have been asking what we usually do, to which I respond, "Watch football!" Tournament of Roses Parade, Rose Bowl, and so many other bowl games while eating leftovers.
One tradition I've never really jumped on is that of setting goals for the new year. It's not that I don't like challenging myself...I just don't enjoy stressing myself out even more over the holiday season.
For some reason, a short list of hopes for the upcoming months has been growing in my head.
- open an etsy shop
- give my heart and soul to my calling as Young Women President
- take a photograph a day
- read through the Book of Mormon
- go to the sea at least once a month
- date my husband
- go to the temple
- challenge myself artistically
- have people over for dinner once a month
- make friends
- go camping in the mountains
- learn how to use the camera sitting in my closet
So it's a simple list, but it's mine! If 2012 is anything like 2011, it's going to be one wild ride, and I'm really looking forward to it!